Drum lessons are taught by world class musicians with first hand experience in drumming and a minimum of a Master’s Degree level of education. In our drum lessons children will explore a number of topics, musicianship, hand-to-hand technique, snare drum reading, drum set coordination, and repertoire development— with each week becoming increasingly more challenging.
In drum lessons our students will accrue following skills:
- understand basic time
- develop proper grip, playing area, and sound
- improve the balance and evenness between your hands
- play drum rudiments, including the double stroke roll, single stroke roll, paradiddle, double paradiddle, triple paradiddle, drag, drag paradiddle 1, flam, and flam accent
- develop basic snare drum reading skills
- interpret drum set charts
- improve your overall coordination, touch, and dynamics
- play common groove patterns found in Rhythm & Blues, Pop-Rock, Funk, Rock, Jazz, Brazilian, and Afro-Cuban music
- play patterns in various time signatures, including 4/4/, 2/4, 3/4, 12/8, 6/8, 9/8, and 5/4
Throughout the course of drum lessons students will have the opportunity to perform in front of a live audience at our seasonal recitals.